BECA PHOTO AWARD
BECA Photo Award is one of the largest photo contests organised in Bulgaria . It is aimed at encouraging and supporting Bulgaria-based photographers. Organiser of the initiative is BECA Before Creating Academy. The mission of the project is to raise awareness and put the country on the world map as a place, where there are talented authors, who create world-class photography. The aim is to motivate photographers to pay more attention to social topics through a visual photographic approach. To encourage them to show their photography in order to be seen and appreciated by the right people. The contest is also aimed at promoting Bulgaria-based photographers, whose photography is worthy of display in photo galleries not only in the country, but also around the world. Our jury consists of world-renowned photographers and curators, who will be involved in the evaluation process of the BECA Photo Award. Last, but not least, the initiative is devoted to building a photographic community of young talented authors.
The first edition of the BECA Photo Award (BPA) will be organised in 2021. Participants will be judged by international photography experts from 5 different countries, who will also select the winners of BPA 2021. They are famous curators, gallery managers, art directors and successful photographers with great experience and numerous exhibitions and awards. Based on their personal experience and competency, the jury will review and judge your photography. The only requirement is to enter the contest with a project (story) of 10-15 photos, regardless of whether it is a documentary, portrait or conceptual photography. There is no entry fee.
The general partner of the contest is the internationally recognised contest-hosting platform Picter. After the end of the submission period, the eight-member jury will have the opportunity to review and evaluate the participants projects online through the Picter platform, where the application for the competition will take place, too. They will select the winners of the BPA for 2021 from the ten shortlisted projects. The award ceremony will take place in June.
The participants have the opportunity to win over BGN 4,000 in prizes. The initiative aims to support the development of the photographers in the country. The winner will receive a BGN 2,000 cash prize, a solo exhibition, as well as a scholarship at BECA Before Creating Academy. The winning project will become part of a solo exhibition, which will be displayed in a photo gallery. The second prize is a voucher for photographic equipment worth BGN 1,000, provided by the other general partner of the initiative Photosynthesis. The organisers will showcase the winners portfolio on the website of the Academy and promote their work in the media.
Eduardo Momeñe is a photographer and author of books on photographic aesthetics. His first exhibition was held at the Nikon Gallery in Barcelona in 1974, and his photographs have been published in magazines such as Vogue, Elle, Style, AD, Marie Claire and others. Teaching photography is also important part of his professional career. He has conducted numerous courses, seminars and is the author of the book La Visión Fotográfica.
Judith Prat is a documentary photographer, photojournalist and a documentary filmmaker. In recent years, she has been working in Africa, the Middle East and Latin America, photographing various topics such as the civil war in Yemen, the war in Kurdistan, Syrian refugees and more. Her photography has been awarded in a number of world contests, grants and festivals, including the World Press Photo, the GABO Journalism Award, the International Photography Awards (IPA) and others.
Anastasia Taylor-Lind is a photojournalist. She has degrees in Documentary Photography and is a 2016 Harvard Nieman Fellow. As a photographer, she works for leading editorial publications all over the world on issues relating to women, population and war, including National Geographic Magazine, TIME, Vanity Fair, The New Yorker, The New York Times, The Sunday Times, The Telegraph and The Guardian. Her photographs have been exhibited internationally, in spaces such as The Saatchi Gallery, the National Portrait Gallery in London, the Pikto Gallery in Toronto and more.
Camilo Racana is an independent art curator, art critic, art director and theater director. He has graduated from the Sorbonne in Paris. In his artistic career, he has been working as a curator (fine arts, contemporary art, cultural heritage, photography, etc.), organizer of exhibitions and cultural events, including AVIFF Carte Blanche Marrakech, 2010 and Cannes 2011, artistic director, designer and conference organiser to the Sorbonne, UNESCO and others.
Vladimir Vasilev is a documentary photographer. In 1998, he decided to dedicate his life to photography, and three years later he left his country to live in France. His photographs, however, straightly show his Slavic origin. His work has received numerous significant international awards. He is a finalist in the New East Photo Prize and participates in exhibitions of the Calvert 22 Foundation in London and St. Petersburg. He photographs man in all his essence, intimacy and exclusivity.
Nadezhda Chipeva is a well-known Bulgarian photojournalist. One of those tireless photo reporters that we can see at every important event for years. Photographer, winner of many awards, including twice received journalistic award “Chernorizets Hrabar”. She has started his career in the newspaper “Bulgarian Photography” in 1981, then worked for the Bulgarian Telegraph Agency, “24 Chasa” newspaper, “Sega” magazine, “Dnevnik” newspaper and “Capital” newspaper for more than 20 years now. She has several exhibitions in Bulgaria and abroad.
Raquel Benito is a Spanish wedding photographer. She has a Master’s degree in Documentary Photography from EFTI, Madrid, as well as in History of Fine Arts. She has made a revolution in the world of wedding photography with her unique style, and in 2013 she was named one of the greatest European wedding photographers. She has been photographing all over the world from Spain, Italy, Germany to Australia, New York and Mexico.
Mohammed Salem is a Palestinian photojournalist based in the Gaza Strip. He has a Media Degree from the University of Al-Azhar, Gaza. He has been working for Reuters since 2003, mainly covering the conflict between Palestine and Israel, as well as other international events around the world. In 2013, he won first prize in the China International Press Photo Contest and was awarded second prize in the World Press Photo Contest 2010 in Spot News category. He was also selected to participate in the Joop Swart Masterclass, organized by WPP.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
These Terms and Conditions govern the participation in the BECA Photo Award (BPA), organised by BECA Before Creating Academy. The organisers of the competition invite talented photographers to present their photographic project (work) of 10-15 photos, regardless of whether it is a documentary, portrait or conceptual photography.
The winner of the BECA Photo Award will receive a cash prize of BGN 2,000, a solo exhibition, as well as scholarship at BECA Before Creating Academy worth BGN 560. The winning project will become part of the author’s solo exhibition, which will be displayed in a gallery.
The initiative is addressed to all photographers – beginners, amateurs and professionals who are citizens of the Republic of Bulgaria or are permanently living in the country.
- Applications must be submitted only via the official contest platform. Entries sent in other ways will not be accepted.
- The contest is open to beginners, amateurs and professional photographers, regardless of their nationality, who lives and works in Bulgaria. The participants must be at least 18 years old.
- The photographer must be the author of the photos sent on his behalf.
- If you represent a photographer and his work in the competition, you must be authorised by the copyright holder of the photographs.
- Each participant can apply for the Contest once. He has also the right to send one project per submission.
- The description of the project, the titles and captions, as well as the personal information must be written in English in the Picter application form. This is necessary because of the international jury.
- Each participant has to apply with a photographic project (story) of 10-15 photos. Fewer photos can be submitted as long as they create a complete photographic body of work.
- There is no limit to the year and place of creation.
- The titles of the photos must not show the name of the participant, the agency or any other personal information (these details may be included in the metadata of the photos, but should not be visible in the title). This is necessary, because the projects will be juried anonymously.
- Photos taken, during restricted events (i.e. events where you did not have permission from the event organisers to take photos) are not accepted.
- Only single frames will be accepted (i.e. no diptychs, triptychs, etc. are accepted).
- The content of a photo must not be altered by adding, rearranging, reversing, distorting or removing people and/or objects from within the frame, except removing sensor dust or scratches on scans of negatives.
- Participants must provide the original files recorded by the camera for all projects that continue to the final round of the contest. These files will be requested and examined confidentially after 31 May 2021. Failure to provide these files when requested will lead to the exclusion of the application.
- Participants retain the copyright of their images. For awarded projects, the copyright holders grant Before Creating Ltd. the right to unlimited non-exclusive use of high resolution photos for activities in all media, including social media, digital and print publications, in relation to the contest, exhibition, yearbook, archive and all promotional and educational activities under the auspices of BECA Before Creating Academy, without any remuneration being due.
- For all photos, except awarded projects, the copyright holders grant Before Creating Ltd. the right to unlimited non-exclusive use of low resolution photos for publications on the social channels of the Contest and the Academy, without any remuneration being due.
- By submitting an application, the participant agree to the Terms and Conditions of Participation to the BPA.
- The winning projects will be used for high-resolution print. Therefore, the images must meet the following characteristics:
* Upload images to their original size. Do not scale or change the resolution. AdobeRGB, sRGB or Gray Scale 2.2 are recommended. CMYK profile is not recommended.
Images must be uploaded in JPEG format with high quality compression. We will use the winning images for high quality printing.
The winner in BPA will receive a BGN 2,000 cash prize, a solo exhibition, as well as scholarship at BECA Before Creating Academy. The winning project will become part of the author’s solo exhibition, which will be displayed in a gallery. The second prize is a voucher for photographic equipment worth BGN 1,000, provided by the other main partner of the initiative Photosynthesis Camera Equipment Store, as well as, a scholarship at BECA Before Creating Academy. The third place winner will also receive a scholarship at the Academy. Please, find more information in the Prizes section of the website.
The winners and finalists of the BECA Photo Award will be informed by phone or email. The prizes will be awarded at an official ceremony in June 2021.
4. Application period
The online application for BPA takes place during the period from 15 March until 31 May 2021.
5. Warranties of the participants
By submitting an application for participation in the BECA Photo Award, the participant declares that:
- is the author of the sent photos;
- is at least 18 years old and lives and works in Bulgaria, regardless of his/her nationality;
- participates in the contest with only one project;
- is the sole copyright holder of the submitted photos or has been authorized by the copyright holder;
- the submitted photos have not been manipulated or altered other than standard image optimisations such as colour intensity or cropping;
- no third party can assert any rights or objections in connection with the photos;
- agrees his name and surname or pseudonym to be used in connection with the BECA Photo Award contest and / or the exhibitions planned thereafter, including for marketing and related materials for the press and social networks;
- agrees with the Terms and Conditions of Participation;
- if he represents the author of the photos, he/she is authorised to accept the Terms and Conditions of Participation on his/her behalf. At the same time, he/she declares that the author accepts the Terms and Conditions of Participation;
Only for candidates whose projects have been shortlisted:
- agrees that, in connection with the BECA Photo Award competition and / or subsequent exhibitions, including marketing and related press materials, upon request from Before Creating Ltd., he/she will send high-resolution files in order to ensure the best print quality (e.g. print for exhibitions and yearbook) and highest image resolution for the website on which they will be presented (e.g. contest website or Academy).
6. Granting of copyrights
In case a participant reaches the final round of the ten shortlisted projects and in case he/she is awarded in the BECA Photo Award, the participant hereby authorizes Before Creating Ltd. and third parties appointed by Before Creating Ltd., unlimited as to time, territory and content, irrevocably and also royalty-free:
- to use his/her photos for press, marketing and communication purposes in connection with the BECA Photo Award contest and the exhibition planned thereafter;
- to use, display or project his/her photos in the context of the BECA Photo Award contest (e.g. in advertising materials, publications, events, website, social networks, etc.) and the exhibition planned thereafter;
- to publish his/her photos in a print edition created after the end of the BECA Photo Award;
- to show his/her photographs in the exhibition planned afterwards;
Provided that, in each case, credit is given by stating either the participant first and last name, or his/her pseudonym (artist’s name). Before Creating Ltd. has no right to sell these photos.
7. Data Protection
Participants reserve the right to request the removal of their personal data after the end of the submission period on 31 May 2021, thus withdrawing from their participation in the contest.
All personal data of the participants are processed and used by Before Creating Ltd. in accordance with legal regulations.
Should individual provisions of these Terms and Conditions of Participation be or become invalid, the validity of the remaining Terms and Conditions of Participation shall remain unaffected thereby.
Before Creating Ltd. may at any time change these Terms and Conditions of Participation without separate notification.
* All disputes arising from the Terms and Conditions of Participation (whether contractual or non-contractual) are governed by the Bulgarian Law. The rules specified in the Terms and Conditions of Participation are mandatory and Before Creating Ltd. reserves the right to refuse or cancel an application inconsistent with the rules.
- Voucher for photography equipment worth BGN 1,000 from the Photosynthesis store
- Scholarship at BECA Before Creating Academy
- Showcase on the Academy’s website
- Media coverage
- Exclusive interview for our media partners
Прибрах се в България с мисията да създавам инициативи, които да подкрепят морално и финансово автори и да развиват фотографията в страната. Затова открих и първата частна академия за фотография BECA Before Creating Academy. BECA Photo Award е следващата инициатива под егидата на Академията. Наградите в конкурса ще дадат стимул на участниците да продължат да развиват знанията и уменията си като фотографи. Талантливите български автори, създаващи качествена фотография, заслужават да бъдат популяризирани и тяхното творчество да бъде уважавано не само у нас, но и по света! — Димитри Стефанов